Job Title: Housing Case Manager
Reports To: Housing and Outreach Coordinator
Prevention Point Philadelphia (PPP) is a multi-service public health organization dedicated to protecting the health and welfare of the homeless, drug users, sex workers, and the uninsured. Using a harm reduction approach, PPP offers culturally sensitive, non-judgmental services to address the health and social service needs of drug users and sex workers in Philadelphia. PPP meets people where they are, providing information and access to resources with dignity and respect. PPP promotes harm reduction through mobile medical care, sterile syringe exchange, referrals to social services, and comprehensive prevention case management services.
The Housing Case Manager will assist in the operation of PPP’s expanding housing services program. They will support residents of PPP’s emergency housing program in developing housing plans and assist them in accessing other necessary resources. This work will build on PPP’s expertise in identifying and working with individuals who face addiction and/or homelessness. The housing case manager will work with individuals to identify housing related goals and action plans as well as linkage to necessary medical care, drug treatment, and benefits services. They will also assist the case management team in addressing the housing needs of clients in our medical, drop-in, and medication assisted treatment programs.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct brief assessments to identify individuals’ short term needs and qualification for housing placements.
- Manage client files on paper and in the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) database.
- Assist individuals who meet criteria in accessing housing placements including emergency shelter, safe haven, Journey of Hope, rapid re-housing, and other placements as available.
- Coordinate with other PPP staff and programs to link clients to necessary medical, substance use, and public benefits needs.
- Collaborate with referral service providers including assessment centers, housing programs, Office of Homeless Services (OHS), and Department of Behavioral Health (DBH).
- Work with nighttime shelter staff to address resident issues in a timely manner. Meet with residents as needed to discuss safety planning, shelter expectations, and other concerns related to residency.
- Assist with outreach and re-linkage for those who have left housing placement
- Actively participate in supervision, team, and staff meetings
- Participate in leadership team on-call rotation
- Work in a fast-paced environment and assist with additional operational needs including drop-in center coverage and answering the agency telephone.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Please note that this job may require working staggered, non-traditional hours including evenings.
- Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of people of different backgrounds
- Strong computer and professional writing skills
- Ability to use a harm reduction approach to housing and addiction
- Dynamic, creative, flexible, able to learn and adapt in a changing environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred
- At least two years’ experience with communities impacted by homelessness, poverty, substance use, and/or HIV/AIDS.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia homeless and housing services
- Knowledge of Philadelphia behavioral health and drug treatment systems preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy and social justice, particularly as related to harm reduction, poverty, and homelessness
- This position includes the normal physical demands of a community-based health program, including lifting/moving up to 25lbs, bending, and carrying. Other physical requirements include walking and standing for long periods and sitting for up to 30 minutes.
- This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with Case Manager as the subject line. No calls will be taken for this position.